Over the years, WordPress has become a natural choice for blogs, but since the launch of WordPress version 3, more and more webmasters, businesses etc are using WordPress as content management system (CMS) or eCommerce platforms.
There are numerous plugins to aid your SEO whilst using WordPress. Here is just a small selection of my personal favorites:
1. All in One SEO Pack - One of the most popular plugins ever for WordPress, this plugin does a bit of everything for you from helping choose the best post title and keywords, to helping you avoid duplicate content and more.
2. Google XML Sitemaps – An essential tool in any blogger’s armory of SEO tools. While the name only mentions “Google,” this plugin creates an XML-sitemap that can be read by Ask, Bing and Yahoo.
3. SEO Slugs - The SEO Slugs WordPress plugin removes common words like ‘a’, ‘the’, ‘in’ from post URLs to improve search engine optimisation.
4. Robots Meta - Robots Meta automatically inserts “nofollow” tags on internal site links that are irrelevant to search crawlers; this keeps search engines from wasting time indexing unimportant pages like results, login, and admin pages, instead directing crawlers to index primary site content.
5. SEO Smart Links - One of the key issues with SEO is your internal linking structure. The more you link to a certain page on your blog, the more important it is to your overall content. Search engines treat your internal links as an indication of how well structured your site is.
6. Automatic SEO links - Just choose a word or a phrase for automatic linking and this plugin will replace all matches in the posts of your weblog. It allows you to set the title, target and rel. for each link. You can also set the anchor text and choose if it should be no-follow or not. If there are repeated words, only the first matched word in the post will be replaced.
7. WP Touch - Mobile search, according to the latest estimates account for 10% of global search already, and counting. Mobile devices are now being used almost everyday and users that have “internet browser” capabilities can surf via this tiny little gadgets. Thing is, this gadgets have small screens and do not have the power of “larger” devices and therefore are still very limited. This plugin will ensure that your website is mobile friendly.
8. YARPP - Yet Another Related Posts Plugin (YARPP) for WordPress gives you a list of posts and/or pages related to the current entry, introducing the reader to other relevant content on your site.
9. Google Analytics for WordPress – Google Analytics for WordPress is the most complete Google Analytics plugin for WordPress. Of course, you could just copy the tracking code into your theme and be done with it, but then you’d miss a whole lot of features that this plugin has to offer you.
10. WordPress SEO - WordPress SEO is the most complete WordPress SEO plugin that exists today for WordPress.org users. It incorporates everything from a snippet preview that helps you optimize your page titles, meta descriptions and keywords to XML sitemaps, and loads of optimisation options in between.
To get started with WordPress, you can download it here: http://wordpress.org/download/
Have you got a favorite SEO plugin for WordPress? Leave your comments below.