This weeks question is:
What links should I remove if I’ve been affected by the Google Penguin update and what links do you think will be in scope moving forward?
That’s a brilliant question and below is a list of sources you may want to review:
- Sitewide sidebar and footer links
- Links on low level directory sites
- Links on sites with malware
- Placed paid links in content
- Mass article marketing sites – normally contain links in the signature
- Advertorial or sponsored links
- Websites that have been de-indexed
- Links that appear on the same site as spammy links
- Links coming from link wheels and networks
- Low level self hosted blog sites - typically setup with one page of content which contain anchor text heavy links
A little more information…
Below I’ve also included a video by Matt Cutts who talks about the same subject:
…and here is a great guide by Search Engine Watch.
My two pieces of link building advice…
- is the intent of the link correct – don’t chase anchor text, make sure its a ‘natural and trusted link’
- make sure your backlinks are engaging as possible, ask questions, be a resource and helpful!
Do you have any thoughts? Leave your comments below…
Credit: Penguin image from SXC.hu