SEO Question: I’m currently working on my new website and I’ve been reviewing what my competitors are doing. I’ve found that the META data on my competitor’s sites seem a bit excessive, what is the optimum length for the title and description tags?
Great question and something I get asked a lot. In short, a title tag should be know longer than 66 characters including spaces and the description tag should be know longer than 140 – 160 characters including spaces – these are both optimum for Google.
Here are a couple of things to remember:
- Always include your primary keywords at the beginning of the title tag and the description tag
- Don’t be afraid not to include your business name in either, especially if you have it in the domain name
- Write descriptions that sells the product and explains the benefits
- Don’t keyword stuff the description tag; include your primary word only once
- Use dashes (-), commas(,) and pipes (|) to split terms and words in the title tag
- Make sure all of the title and description tags are unique to page content
- Don’t use duplicate title and descriptions tags across multi pages
Similiar post: Should I use the META description tag on my CMS
Credit: Coding image from SXC.hu